HomeUSAWoman with milk allergy dies after eating contaminated PretOUS News

Woman with milk allergy dies after eating contaminated PretOUS News

A

A woman with an acute milk allergy died after eating a Pret a Manger wrap that was labeled vegan despite containing traces of milk, a coroner has ruled.

Celia Marsh, 42, died in 2017 after eating a super veggie rainbow pancake while shopping with her family in Bath.

Coroner Maria Voisin found that coconut yogurt sauce was cross-contaminated with milk protein during production in an investigation in Bristol on Thursday.

Dental nurse Ms. Marsh was on a shopping trip with her family when she ate Pret wraps on December 27.

Despite efforts by passers-by and paramedics to rescue him, he was pronounced dead in the street less than two hours later.

Ms. Voison said Ms. Marsh suffered anaphylactic shock after eating the dressing.

The coroner said: “A product marked as dairy-free must not contain dairy products.

“Celia Marsh was unaware that the wrap contains milk protein.”

“The protein was in an ingredient called Coyo, which contains an extra ingredient called HG1.

“The contamination arose because the HG1 component was cross-contaminated during manufacture.”

Her husband, Andy, called for tighter controls, saying that “any manufacturer that makes something labeled ‘free’ should “take responsibility for testing to make sure it’s just that”.

Celia meant the world to us. He could brighten your worst days with a single smile.

“She would look at you with her blue eyes and you would feel better. She was a great mother.

“People can tell we’re in love even if we sit in the same room as us and don’t say a word to each other.”

He said that any manufacturer that makes something labeled ‘free’ should “take responsibility for testing to make sure it is exactly that”.

In the investigation, it was heard that the coconut yogurt used as dressing came from the Australian brand CoYo and that the production license was given to the British company Planet Coconut in the UK.

Pano Christou, CEO of Pret a Manger, said the company “fully supports” the coroner’s findings.

“As a father and husband, I can only imagine how upsetting this is for Celia’s children and family.

“Our deepest condolences continue to all who knew and loved Celia,” he said.

As the coroner has made clear, Planet Coconut had information that should have warned them that their Coyo yogurt may have contained milk, and this information was not passed on to Pret.

“It goes without saying that if Pret had known that Coyo yogurt contained milk, we would never have used this ingredient.”

.