No criminal charges against RCMP officer who shot Grand Falls Windsor man in 2021: SIRTOUS News


The Newfoundland and Labrador Police Supervisory Authority has completed its investigation into the murder of Roy Frick in Grand Falls Windsor in June 2021 and says the officer who killed him will not face criminal charges.

In a report released Thursday, Mike King, director of the provincial Major Incident Response Team, wrote: “I do not believe there are reasonable grounds to believe that the officer in question committed a criminal offence.”

Frick’s name is not mentioned in the report – instead he is referred to as the “injured person” or “AP”, but the details match the circumstances of his death in 2021. “subject officer” or “SO”.

Freak, 37, broke into his ex-girlfriend’s home on Monchi Road, where she lived with her child and 14-year-old son, in the early hours of June 11, 2021.

Weeks after the shooting, Frick’s ex-girlfriend, Amanda Antle, told CBC News that he had two steak knives pressed against her neck during the break-in. She said he was let down by the mental health and justice system.

About 12 hours before the shooting, Frick was in police custody for violating a court order, but was released on bail. One of the conditions for his release was that he had to stay away from Grand Falls Windsor, but Antle and Frick’s father said his truck had been towed and he was unable to make the trip from central Newfoundland to his parents’ home on the island Fogo. and he went without the necessary medication for 24 hours.

Roy Freak was killed after breaking into his ex-girlfriend’s house and holding knives to her throat, threatening to kill her. (Presented by Jacqueline Frick)

The RCMP did not comment on the incident or confirm Frick’s identity.

According to a witness statement in the SIRT report, the witness, identified as an ex-AP girlfriend, said she was awakened by the sound of breaking glass and the sound of someone rummaging through a kitchen utensil drawer.

The report says the AP kicked in the bedroom door where the woman was with her boyfriend and child. AP, the report said, held steak knives in each hand, threatened to kill them, and attacked the boyfriend.

The boyfriend fought off the AP, who lunged at his ex-girlfriend with knives, lifting the mattress to block him. The boyfriend who was cut also called 911.

When the police arrived, kicking down the door to get into the house, AP grabbed his ex-girlfriend and pulled her to his floor, using her as a shield while he held knives to either side of her throat. He ordered the police to stand down, threatening to kill her if they didn’t.

The report, released Thursday, concludes that the officer who shot Frick acted appropriately under the circumstances. (Anthony Germain/CBC)

According to the report, one officer used a taser that did not incapacitate him, likely because the taser’s probes could not penetrate the AP’s layers of clothing.

“She tried again to pull the trigger, but nothing happened,” another police officer who was present at the scene said in a statement.

“After that, she heard the first shot to her left. Then she heard a second shot.”

The officer believed that the man would stab and kill

The officer who fired the fatal shots provided SIRT with a written statement through his lawyer. The statement notes that AP grabbed his ex-girlfriend, yelling that he was going to kill her.

“My client was 100 percent certain that the man was going to stab and kill the woman and possibly the child,” the statement said.

Amanda Antle (left), holding Frick’s baby, said the justice and healthcare system had failed Frick. (Presented by Amanda Antle)

The officer’s lawyer said that his client did not have the choice and time to resolve the incident in another way.

“He fired two shots from his service pistol to stop an attempted murder,” the lawyer wrote.

A use of force expert interviewed for the investigation said the AP had “the ability, intent and means to inflict death or grievous bodily harm”.

“I am of the opinion [the officer]the use of force to kill was balanced and appropriate,” the expert wrote.

“It was [the officer] did not fire his weapon when he did so, it is likely that [the man] could start stabbing [the woman] and/or her son and possibly [her boyfriend] moreover, several times before any of the officers could intervene.”

King said that the results of the forensic examination were consistent with the testimony of witnesses.

The chief medical examiner’s report states that the cause of death was a gunshot wound to the chest, a bullet entered the right forearm and re-entered the chest, and another shot hit the right side.

Learn more from CBC Newfoundland and Labrador


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here