HomeUSAChairman of Hockey Canada's Board of Directors resignsOUS News

Chairman of Hockey Canada’s Board of Directors resignsOUS News

The latest development in the Hockey Canada controversy saw Michael Brind’amore step down as chairman of its board of directors on Friday night, effective immediately.

“My last term ends in November 2022, and I know there is no need to wait for a new era. Immediate action is necessary to address the critical challenges facing our organization and our sport,” said Brind. ‘ Amor said via Hockey Canada News release.

Hockey Canada’s board of directors and members will meet in the coming days to determine next steps and appoint an interim president.

The next board election is scheduled for the annual meeting in November.

In June, the organization’s access to public funds was blocked by the federal government over its response to an alleged sexual assault and subsequent out-of-court settlement.

A woman filed a $3.5 million lawsuit in April alleging she was sexually assaulted by eight hockey players, including members of Canada’s world junior team, in 2018. Hockey Canada settled with a young woman the following month.

The complainant says that he has always fully cooperated with the police investigation of his case, despite what Hockey Canada originally said.

Coming Live | Sports Minister to discuss recent meeting with provincial sports ministers

Sports Minister Pascale Saint-Onge to discuss recent meeting with Provincial Sports Ministers

Sports Minister Pascal Saint-Onge is meeting with his provincial counterparts as Hockey Canada faces criticism for its handling of sexual harassment allegations against professional hockey players.

Recently, retail giant Canadian tire and telecommunications company Telus has stopped sponsoring Hockey Canada.

And last month, Hockey Canada officials testified before a House of Commons committee on Wednesday that they paid $8.9 million from the “National Equity Fund” to settle sexual abuse complaints to 21 complainants since 1989, which they said That is generated from membership fees and investments.

look | Hockey Canada has paid out 21 sexual misconduct settlements since 1989

Hockey Canada has paid 21 settlements for sexual misconduct since 1989

Hockey Canada officials revealed that the organization has paid out nearly $9 million in settlements since 1989 to 21 people accusing them of sexual misconduct.

“I have listened carefully and carefully to the comments of Canadians about our sport and the culture of our organization and our actions and leadership,” Brind’Amour said in a statement. “I understand that the actions we have taken in recent weeks are part of the solution.

“I am assured that the Honorable Thomas Cromwell, CC, has agreed to lead a governance review of our organization that will help us make the necessary changes. I am confident that the recommendations will guide the organization into the future of desired change “

On Friday, Canada’s 13 regional hockey federations announced that they are threatening to withhold dues from Hockey Canada over the organization’s alleged mismanagement of sexual harassment allegations in 2018.

Led by Hockey Quebec, the organizations sent a letter on Thursday asking for a detailed action plan to address their concerns and an “extraordinary” meeting by the end of November.

The statement of claim, which has not been proven in court, states that the hockey player brought golf clubs to the hotel room to intimidate her further, instructed the woman to take a bath after sexually assaulting her and told her that she was sober. , while he videotaped. consent video.

WATCH: Hockey Canada to ban players not cooperating with investigation:

Lawyer Danielle Robitel says Hockey Canada will ban players not participating in investigation

Robitel appeared before a standing House of Commons committee investigating allegations of sexual abuse in the game. Robitel said legal counsel for eight of the nine players he did not speak to told him they were concerned about Hockey Canada’s pre-judgment.

As first reported by the Globe and Mail earlier this week, the complainant’s attorney, Robert Talach, issued a statement saying that his client was clear to police in June 2018 that she wanted to pursue criminal charges.

Talach provided several new details about the case, including how his client spoke with a detective within days of the alleged sexual assault and a physical exam at a hospital.

Talach said his client later gave his clothes to police for investigation and met with officers on two other occasions over the summer. Seven months later, she was told that the investigation had been closed and that no charges would be filed.

Following an explosion of public outcry, London’s police chief recently announced that he would conduct an internal review to “determine whether, if any, additional investigative avenues exist”.

Talach said his law firm set up a polygraph test for the woman and she passed. The results have since been provided to police and investigators from Hockey Canada and the NHL, which began their investigation in May.

Talach confirmed that his client would not sit down for interviews with Hockey Canada or NHL investigators because he had already provided an eight-page statement, five pages of photos and 4.5 pages of text messages.

The Ultimate Managed Hosting Platform